Thailand50 - Work Permits

Work Permit and Tax ID

In order to work in Thailand a foreigner must acquire a work permit.

The work permit is a passport-size blue book containing your photo and pertinent info.

With a work permit you may open bank account in your company's name with a checking account, get a one-year visa extension, and buy a car in your name.

The Process

A company must apply on your Non-immigrant B visa.

This company must have two million baht capital for each expatriate work permit with a ratio of Thai: foreigner in accordance with the type of work you do. Your salary should meet a minimum wage for foreigners. Each country is different. Plus you must show that your working here is a benefit to the nation and is not taking any job away from a Thai.

You will need the following;

  • Passport (photocopies of passport and visas)
  • Work permit application forms
  • MD statement of health
  • Company documents
  • Company bank books showing Five million in capital ie cars, office equipment et al
  • Two photos (color 4X5) (the capital requirement changed on 1st October)

Approval can take as little as a few days but also as long several months. The latter occurs due to a hesitancy of the officials to grant the permit. Any questions about this delay should be handled by a third party. If you're visa runs out, before acceptance, then you can consider your application as denied.

Once you have received your work permit, you will be issued a tax card with a Thai tax number. Income tax is approx. 10% of your wages and it is suggested that you speak with an accountant in order to benefit from any deductions available to your situation.

If you find this useful let us know and we will expand this section Contact