Thailand50 - Other Visas Proceedures

This is a basic guide to the visa regulations in Thailand at the current time and is updated regularly, however please check our forums and talk with a professional before making travel plans.

Thai Visa on Arrival

Ordinary passport holders of 41 countries, including the United States, European Union countries, Japan, and Australia, do not need a visa if their purpose of visit is tourism and if their stay in the Kingdom does not exceed 30 days. Visa-on-arrival is available at certain entry points for passport holders of 14 other nations, including India, China and the Russian Federation.

New rules introduced on the 1st of October 2006 state that no more than 3 30 day visa's on arrival will be issued, after the 3rd issuance the passport holder will be required to leave Thailand for a minimum of 90 days or leave and obtain an Embassy issued tourist visa or non immigrant visa.

Tourist visa ($25.00)

This visa must be issued by a Thai Embassy prior to entry into Thailand.

The visa lasts 60 days and can be extended at an Immigration office for the cost of 1,900 Baht for 14 days.

In order to get this visa you will have to show the following documents.

  • Passport or travel document with more than 6 months validity.
  • Completed Visa application
  • One passport photo

This visa is good for three months before expiration.

Multi-entrance Tourist visa ($60)

This visa is good for three entries. You can extend each 30 days. Meaning you can stay in Thailand 90 days for each visa.

Same requirements as the tourist visa apply.

Non-immigrant visa outside the country

It is best to apply for a Non-Immigrant visa in your home country for those consulates are usually more user-friendly than Thai embassies throughout Asia.

Bring 2 passport size photos.

There are many kinds of Multiple entry Non-Immigrant Visa. Some are work related and other are determined by age.

  1. B Visa Business visa
  2. D Visa Diplomatic visa for embassy workers.
  3. EX Visa Skilled workers
  4. ED Visa Teaching or research
  5. IM Visa Capital investor
  6. M Visa Accredited Media members
  7. O Visa When you are married to a Thai or a Thai child is dependent on you.
  8. R Visa Missionary work.
  9. RS Visa Scientific research
  10. S Visa Sports related

Another O visa is for retired people.

To confirm the documents required for each type of visa you can check on the Thai Immigration website here

You can download Visa application forms and forms for extensions of stay here

Most foreigners end up with an O Visa and this allows them to stay in the country a year during which time they have to check into the immigration office every 3 months.


At present fine/day for overstay is 500 baht. The first day is free. The maximum overstay fine in Thailand is 20,000 baht. Foreign children under the age of four are not subject to overstay penalties.

This penalty is payable at any exit pint in Thailand ie border crossings and airport.

Once you have passed through Immigration you will be asked to pay your fine. The process is very quick and you will be provided with a receipt afterwards.

Overstaying is not a joke. It is considered a crime even for one day. Should the police stop you, they are within their right to jailed you until such time as you pay the fine and have a homeward bound ticket for deportation. This process is not for the faint hearted. Thai jails are notorious with Amnesty International for their accommodations. Do not expect any reprieve during this process. You will be deported no matter what.

If you do overstay, then it is highly advisable to clear this matter ASAP and also maintain a low profile to avoid any difficulties with the police, such as speeding or making a bad turn or not wearing a helmet for your motorcycle. You don't want a minor infraction to lead to a major problem.

Even worse you are blacklisted from ever entering Thailand and getting your name dropped from this list is nearly impossible.

Though the chances of ending up in this situation are very small, you'd still be well advised to not overstay your visa if at all possible. If you do overstay for any reason, obviously you should steer well clear of any kind of activities that might attract the attention of the authorities.

If you happened to be stopped for such an offense, there is a process of deportation.

No matter where you are in the country, you will be transported to the Immigration Bureau in Bangkok for processing.

You will be given a hearing on Friday at which you can pay your overstay. You will not be released then, instead you will have to present them with a air ticket out of the country as well as transportation costs to the airport. Without these two things you will be held in jail, until you get them.

Other problems can arise from the arresting officer not being present at the hearing, which can delay the process another week. Also the arresting officer must get his superiors to validate your release by singing the documentation on your case. To expedite this process it is suggested hiring a lawyer.

Immigration Bureau's office hours end at 4.30 p.m. the court hearing on Friday does not leave enough time to process you that day. Meaning you will have to stay in jail until Monday, unless that Monday is a holiday. If everything has been approved then you will be deported the next business day after your hearing.

To be personna non grata in Thailand is very serious case-i.e., your name is recorded in a secret 'Confidential List', popularly known as the 'black list'; and you will be banned from entering Thailand forever. It is extremely difficult to have your name removed from the 'black list'.

In some cases, they only have to pay a fine to the Immigration Bureau or the Immigration Office in the province concerned. For example, in the case of a visa that expired 150 days earlier, but where the passport remains valid, the fine can be paid at the immigration checkpoint on the day of the departure. In such cases, the maximum fine that can be levied is 20,000 baht.

In normal cases, such as when a passport has expired and the owner surrenders to the Immigration Office, the owner will be fined 200 baht per day from the date of passport expiration up to the day of surrendering. By surrendering, the owner of the passport will only have to pay a fine up to the maximum of 20,000 baht.


Deportation of foreigners is governed by the Immigration Act B.E.2522 (A.D.1979), Section 54:

Any foreigners who enters or comes to stay in the Kingdom without permission or when such permission expires or is revoked, the competent official will deport such foreigners out of the kingdom;

The provisions of Sections 19 and 20 will be applied 'mutatis mutandis' if an investigation for deportation has to be conducted in reference to item (a) above; Where an order of deportation is made, while waiting for the alien to be deported the competent official may order that alien to remain at any prescribed place or he may order the alien to report to him (competent official) according to a prescribed date, time, and place with security (personal guarantee) or with security and bond (e.g., cash or land title deed). The competent official may also detain the alien at any given place as may be necessary. The expense of detention shall be charged to the alien's account; The provisions of Section 54 shall not apply to foreigners who entered and took up residence in the Kingdom before the enforcement of the Immigration Act. B.E. 2480 (A.D.1937).

If you find this useful let us know and we will expand this section Contact